Thursday, June 23, 2011

Kerr back at scene of '10 LPGA Championship dominance;Champ puts focus on this year's event

Song-Hee Kim scorched Locust Hill Country Club last year during the LPGA Championship , racking up 19 birdies en route to finishing the major championship at 7under par. And lost by 12.

Reminiscent of what Rory McIlroy just did to Congressional Country Club in his record-setting U.S. Open triumph, Cristie Kerr was her own show in winning the 2010 LPGA Championship. With rounds of 68-66-69-66, she left the field behind and finished at 19 under to win by a record 12 shots .

A year later, Kerr's masterpiece remains the talk of the tournament: "I remember we were all playing for second," Stacy Lewis said.

"I don't remember much. I was so far behind," Suzann Pettersen said.

As for Kerr, ranked No. 2 in the world, she'd rather talk about this year. Obviously, she has fond memories of last year, a lasting memory no one can ever take away from her, she said, but this is a new year.

"I'm not 12 shots ahead of the field starting out this week," she said Wednesday after finishing preparations for the year's second major championship. "So starting from the first tee (today), it's go time.

"I'm in a good place with my game. Because I won by 12, I'm not putting pressure on myself. I'm going to try and have the same mind-set like I did last year and take every day as it comes."

While Kerr hasn't won since the LPGA Championship, she rolls into today's start off three consecutive runner-up finishes, increasing her total in that department to 20 to go with 14 career victories.

"I've played a lot of good golf since then," Kerr said. "I've been close to winning again and just need a little bit of luck. If you're finishing second every week, there is a lot going right for you. I've always been an optimist, so if I keep putting myself in that position it's going to happen.

"A lot of things are working."

Especially her irons. Kerr put Callaway's Diablo Forged irons in her bag for a May round at Augusta National. They haven't left.

"My misses have been a lot better," she said. "Golf is a game of misses, and if you can get it on the green instead of missing the green or missing it in the right spot, it's a whole different game. I've been putting well and just got to get those putts on Sunday to drop for me. And that stuff is going to add up. I have been doing that for the last month. It's just that one extra putt that drops, or that one shot, or somebody doesn't get up and down or whatever. I'm very close."

Source: http://network.yardbarker.com/golf/article_external/kerr_back_at_scene_of_10_lpga_championship_dominancechamp_puts_focus_on_this_years_event/5190097

Seattle Seahawks Green Bay Packers

No comments:

Post a Comment