Friday, February 25, 2011

You can wager on NFL combine stats

For the past few years Bodog.com has sent me a list of NFL Draft prop bets. I always just hit the delete button because I have better things to do in late April than waste my time trying to figure out if the Big East or ACC will have more top-50 picks or whatever other nonsense they come up with.
But this year they’re stepping up their game, and I’m intrigued.
I recently received an email with NFL Combine prop bets. This is possibly the most ridiculous thing you could bet on, because we’re talking about a difference of hundredths of a second, or quarters of an inch on some of these, but hey, it’s not like anything else interesting is going on in the sports world in late February.
So I’ll take the time to weigh in on a few…
Who will have the fastest 40 Yard Dash Time Christian Ponder (QB FSU) -120 Jake Locker (QB Washington) -120
This is a gimme. Locker should be faster than Ponder by a full 10th of a second (and that fact that .10 is considered a large margin is exactly why you’re a fool if you bet on any of these).
Who will have the fastest 40 Yard Dash Time Mark Ingram (RB Alabama) -120 Ryan Williams (RB Virginia Tech) -120
Supposedly Ingram is going to run in the 4.4s, but I’ll believe it when I see it. My money’s on Williams.
Who will have the fastest 40 Yard Dash Time Julio Jones (WR Alabama) Even Jon Baldwin (WR Pittsburgh) -130
Baldwin’s camp has been hyping him up and he reportedly has been clocked in the 4.3 range. Not sure I believe that, but it won’t be difficult for him to post a better time than Jones. I’ll be mildly surprised if Jones cracks 4.5.
Who will the most bench press repetitions? Nate Solder (OT Colorado) -130 Gabe Carimi (OT Wisconsin) Even
Carimi is the easy choice here. Not only does he just appear more muscular than Solder, but Solder is 6’8″ – the taller you are, the harder it is to get large number of reps on the bench.
Who will have the highest vertical leap? A.J. Green (WR Georgia) -130 Patrick Peterson (CB LSU) Even
This could be a close call, but my money’s on Peterson. It’s very rare for someone with Green’s height to compete with a guy like Peterson in the vertical.

Source: http://network.yardbarker.com/college_football/article_external/nfl_combine_prop_bets/4223634

Los Angeles Lakers

No comments:

Post a Comment