Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Kalvaraz Bessent to Alabama: Tide Land 4-Star CB Recruit

Alabama has been off to a staggeringly slow start to the 2014 recruiting class, having an unusually difficult time landing recruits early on in the process. Although with the recent commitment of cornerback Kalvaraz Bessent, the Crimson Tide now has doubled their commitment total to two.

Kipp Adams of ESPN reported the news, and the defensive star couldn't be happier to be taking his talents to Tuscaloosa.

I am really excited about being part of the Crimson Tide. Bessent said. My head coach is leaving, spring practice is about to start. I like Alabama a lot, so I feel if I commit to them early, they will commit to me too. We can build a great relationship from there.

Bessent is a small corner at 5'11", 170-pounds from Kingsland, Ga. Despite his smaller frame, he has become a playmaker on the defensive side of the ball, intercepting six passes this season for his high school according to the report. He has also become a factor offensively.

With the hype building around him early on, Bessent already had offers on the table from schools such as Auburn, Georgia, Florida State and Ohio State, among others. He wanted to get the process out of the way, as he already visited three SEC powerhouses in Georgia, Alabama and Florida, but obviously decided it was the defending national champions he wanted to suit up for.

So, what helped make the final decision? Bessent told ESPN that it was the complete package on and off the field, and a school he simply couldn't turn down if he tried.

“Alabama has the coaching staff, academics, weight room and history that I am looking for,” Bessent said. “Pretty much all-around it is a great school.”

With the feeling mutual on both sides, the Alabama coaching staff has already told the young man that he fits the Crimson Tide mold. This is a recruit that the school had wanted, and it is always nice to receive that verbal commitment so early in the process.

That is when I realized Alabama was where I wanted to be. Bessent said. I spoke to Coack (Kirby) Smart and Coach (Nick) Saban this morning and I told them how excited I was about Alabama and that I wanted to commit. They said they were excited about it and that I could be very successful in their program. They told me I am the top cornerback they are after and that I can do great things for them.

The secondary for Alabama last season was one of the minor question marks for the team in its championship run. With players dropping like flies to the next level and a handful of guys having a hard time early on, it has shown that great corners are hard to find, and is a position that should be targeted often in the recruiting process.

Alabama may not have many recruits to brag about in the 2014 class just yet, but it was able to snag one of the big fish with the pickup of Bessent.

Source: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1565288-kalvaraz-bessent-to-alabama-tide-land-4-star-cb-recruit

Cleveland Cavaliers New Orleans Saints

No comments:

Post a Comment